Oct 02, 2015
Hakeem Oluseyi, Frequent Contributor to the Science Channel’s Outrageous Acts of Science, to Serve as Guest Judge
WHAT: On October 13th, ten of America’s brightest middle school science students will compete in a series of challenges at the 17th annual Discovery Education 3M Young Scientist Challenge for the chance to win $25,000 and the title of “America’s Top Young Scientist.” Students will each present a scientific innovation that they created to solve a problem found in everyday life to a panel of judges at the 3M Innovation Center, as well as compete in a series of additional challenges.
- - Chain Reaction Challenge (9:00 – 11:30 AM CST): Finalists will work in teams to build a machine that completes one of Newton’s Laws of Motion.
- - Finalist Innovation Presentations (2:00 – 4:00 PM CST): Finalists will present their scientific solutions to problems they have identified in everyday life, including:
- – A device that allows those suffering from allergies to inhale nanoparticles that block allergens
- – A computer program and apparatus that measures pupil dilation, detecting whether a person is driving under the influence of a controlled substance
- – An invention that helps those with Autistic Spectrum Disorder and their caregivers by monitoring physiological and environmental factors that can cause and trigger stress
- – A program that detects locations in need of new or updated drainage to help prevent area flooding
The final presentations can be viewed via LIVE stream at youngscientistchallenge.com/live-event.
Hakeem Oluseyi, an internationally recognized astrophysicist, inventor, science communicator, educator and humanitarian, will serve as a guest judge at the event. In addition to his work as a professor and astrophysicist, Oluseyi is a frequent contributor to the Science Channel where he hosts Outrageous Acts of Science. He will be available for interview.
For more information on the 2015 challenge, visit:
WHEN: Tuesday, October 13, 2015: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM CST
WHERE: 3M Innovation Center, 2350 Minnehaha Ave East, St. Paul, MN 55144
Press release announcing winner, b-roll footage and hi-res photos will be available October 14, 2015 at
8:30 AM CST at www.youngscientistchallengemedia.com